VACANCY FOR PARISH SECRETARY
Marley Grange Parish is currently recruiting a Parish Secretary. This role is offered initially on a one year fixed term / part-time basis, Monday – Friday, 9am to 1pm.
The duties include:
- Providing an administrative service to Marley Grange Parish
- Managing the parish office with the effective use of up-to-date office systems
- Receiving members of the public and dealing with enquiries
- Recording and managing parish records.
- The successful candidate will have at least 5 years clerical / administrative experience.
- Up-to-date computer skills including Microsoft word and excel with some database experience. Microsoft publisher would also be desirable.
- Highly developed interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate effectively and work as part of a team.
Letters of application with an up to date curriculum vitae should be emailed to Ashling Keane on email@example.com.
The closing date for completed applications is 5pm on Tuesday 31st October 2017. See Job description below.
| Job Title: Parish Secretary
|| Job Holder: Vacant
| Job Location: Divine Word Church, Marley Rise, 25 Hermitage Downs, Rathfarnham, Dublin 16
| Reports to: Parish Priest/Administrator
|To provide administrative assistance to the Parish Priest and Parish in the day to day running of the office.
- As far as is possible the Parish Office should not be left unattended during Public Office hours
- Agree to a daily and weekly schedule that should be possible to conclude on a daily and weekly basis
- To maintain an easy to manage filing system
- Typing of letters and notes
- Keeps all existing parish records up to date
- Take phone calls and deal with all messages left on parish phone
- Receive members of the public/parishioners in the office during office hours
- To order supplies, make bookings or phone calls for items and arrangements that are needed for the operation of the parish and the celebration of the liturgy
- Ensure all Parish Registers are kept in a safe and secure location
- Protect the confidential nature of information contained in Parish registers
- Take bookings for Mass
- Receive and record Mass Stipends
- To facilitate the Parish Team with the organising and arranging of all Liturgical celebrations in the parish that require the assistance of the facilities of the parish office
- To facilitate, within reason, all who organise various parish ministries and groups and if possible by agreed procedures with those in charge of such groups
- To help prepare the distribution of Christmas, Easter and November Dead List envelopes
- To type daily and weekend Mass intention schedule
- Occasionally facilitate the typing of weekend Prayers of the Faithful
- Prepare the weekly Parish Newsletter
- Take bookings for Baptisms
- Prepare Certificates and Forms for Baptism Ceremony and Baptism Team
- Write up Baptism Register
- Issue Baptism certificates and input into the Pastoral System
- Gather information from the school – names of candidates, etc.
- Issue Confirmation certificates
- Write up Confirmation register as soon as possible after confirmation ceremony
- Following the confirmations input into the Pastoral Management System
- Notify other parishes of those confirmed in our Parish who were baptised elsewhere
- Record confirmation notices from other parishes
- Take bookings for weddings
- Facilitate couples and the priest in getting wedding papers in order for the ceremony
- Issue Marriage Certificates
- Issue Letters of Freedom
- Write up Marriage register
- File all marriage papers before and after all weddings
- Record marriage ceremonies in parish Baptism register where necessary
- Notify Church of Baptism of party married in this Parish but not baptised here
- Record and return Marriage Notification Forms sent to this Parish form other parishes
- Ensure all marriage papers are kept in a safe and proper filing system
- Take in funeral arrangements
- Write up funeral details and input into the Pastoral Management System
|Ad Hoc Duties
- In the event of other staff being employed in the parish, you will be responsible for recording time-keeping and work scheduling as agreed in their contracts
- From time to time, liaising with tradesmen for repairs and maintenanc
The above contains the main outline of duties. However it is inevitable that tasks may arise which may not fall within the remit of the above list of main duties. Staff members are therefore required to respond with a flexible approach when ad hoc tasks arise which are not specifically covered in their job description. Should an additional responsibility become a regular part of a staff member’s job, the Job Description will be amended to reflect this.
| JOBHOLDER ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
- At least five years administrative experience is required
- Book keeping experience is desirable
- IT Literate – MS Word, Excel and Outlook
- Database experience desired
- Ability to work on their own and as part of a team
- Excellent organisational skills
- A strong ability to multi task
- Enthusiastic and motivated
- Proactive and uses own initiative
- Ability to take direction
|Internal Parish PriestMembers of the various committees
||External ParishionersMembers of the public using the church facilities