Mon – Fri: 10 am Saturday: 10 am, 6.00pm (Vigil of Sunday) Sunday:9 am, 10.30 am, 12 noon, 7pm.
Marley Grange Parish is in the Southside of Dublin, close to Dundrum and Ballinteer. The parish was created by the Archdiocese of Dublin in December 1981 from Churchtown Parish. We have 1,600 households within our community.
The Parish takes in part of the Grange Road, together with Park Avenue, Eden Estate, Hermitage, Marley Grange, Grange Manor, Grange Downs, Grange Wood, Llewellyn, Marley Court North and South. The Servite Order took over the administration of the Parish in the early 1990′s. Further information on the Servite Order is available on www.servidimaria.net and www.servitefriars.org
History of the Parish
The parish of Marley Grange is situated in one of the most scenic corners of South County Dublin. Ancient legend and layered history surround the area and they help us to understand Marley Grange. Circled by the Three Rock Mountain, Kilmashogue, Ticknock, Mountpellier, Cruagh and the Castle of Rathfarnham, every ancient stone and tomb speaks of the Celts, the O’Byrnes, the O’Tooles, The Norse, The Norman and the Planter. The area was forest and pasture in pre-Christian times and for hundreds of years was well populated until the creation of the estates in the seventeenth century. The ancient road to Tara from the South, Sligh Chulainn, ran along the valley below (Butterfield Avenue) and on a clear day the Mourne Mountains and Slieve Gullion hang on the horizon with Dublin Bay stretching out below. Above us is the dolmen or cloch togala at Mount Venus. The table stone is twenty three feet long and weighs about forty tons. It is one of the finest megalithic monuments in Ireland. It is thought a church existed at Cruagh from the time of St. Patrick and at Whitechurch since 1280. While there are the remains of megalithic tombs dating back to about 200BC at Kilmashogue, the name itself speaks of a very early church of which nothing remains. Rathfarnham had a small church from early times at the rath on the Dodder under the jurisdiction of the Monastery of Naobh Nathi at Dundrum. The other main centre of administration learning and trade in the area was the monastery of Naobh Ruain at Tallaght. The lands of the area became the property of the Cistercian Abbey of St Mary the Virgin around 1139.The old Church of Rathfarnham, now the courthouse was built after catholic emancipation (1829) and the new church of the Annunciation was dedicated in March 1878. The church of Ireland built a new church in the valley of Rathfarnham in 1795 and abandoned the old Norman church at the Graveyard. The new church at Whitechurch was built in 1825. The Parish of the Divine Word Marley Grange was created by the Archdiocese of Dublin in December 1981 from Churchtown Parish whose parent church was Rathfarnham. The House of the people – Teach an Phobail – was named the Church of the Divine Word. The land for the church was given by the sisters of the Loreto Abbey. The parish community are extremely thankful to the Sisters of Loreto for their generosity.
The Church of the Divine Word was dedicated on the 6th of December 1981. Below are extracts from the Mass booklet used on that occasion.